How do you name your computers?

Andy Bennett andyjpb at ashurst.eu.org
Fri Oct 7 15:43:19 PDT 2005

Hi,

Well, at the TV studio we call our machines after defunct soaps. Lately
we've been using any old TV program we fancy. So, we have:
crossroads, eldorado, dallas, dynasty, brookside, bergerac, norton
(after Graham Norton), steptoe and columbo.
The edit suites are named after ex technical managers and are called
boglin and crotaz.

At home I name boxes that I built after places in Sussex, for historical
reasons. Any box that I get given gets to keep its name (except where
it's  generic such as "Octane" or whatever). So, we have:
patience, telscombe, broadlands, peacehaven, westpier, palacepier, dart,
stirling, firecrest, chickadee, barcombe, gsunc (might need another name
that's not so generic. - It was one of three suns called gsuna, gsunb
and gsunc, then again, I quite like it.)

A guy I know has a policy of naming his computers after things that are
harder to spell and remember than the IP address. It's going to get
interesting if he ever goes with IPv6.

I have also seen machines named after London Underground stations and
colours.

Regards,
@ndy

andyjpb at ashurst.eu.org