How do you name your computers?

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Oct 6 18:10:24 PDT 2005

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005, Mike Hernandez wrote:

> Just wondering what people name their computers these days. I've been
> working with Greek Goddess names, which seems to be pretty popular. I
> have Mnemosyne - my home desktop/server, Dementia - my zaurus sl-c3000
> pda, and Artemis - my 15" powerbook. I had a little firewall named
> Echo, but she died and I'm looking to replace her soon.

  At the moment, I name desktops after guitar amps - my main machines are
bluesbreaker and ac30.  I rather fancy a G5, it sort of looks as if it
would be appropriate for 'bassman'.  Spent a week or two using a
resurrected Celeron 1GHz named pignose, but that was a dog ;)

  Call me a literalist stick-in-the-mud, but my ibooks have been named
after varieties of apples (current one is egremont).

  No doubt I'll come up with a different plan in the future, I used to
name them after characters in the 'If...' cartoon.

Ken