Chapter 5

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Oct 4 10:19:38 PDT 2005

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005, Raymond Germon wrote:

> I am stumped when I reach Chapter 5.
> When trying ../binutils-2.15.94.0.2.2/configure --prefix=/tools --disable-nls
> I get an error "No such file or Directory"
> Same with
>
> ../gcc-3.4.3/configure --prefix=/tools \
>   --libexecdir=/tools/lib --with-local-prefix=/tools \
>   --disable-nls --enable-shared --enable-languages=c
> Can anyone help?

  -EWRONG_LIST ?  Seriously, all problems to do with building the book
are usually answered more quickly on lfs-support.

  In this case, I think you've overlooked one of the initial
expectations.  The book expects you to build below /sources, and to cd
into each directory that you create.  So, for binutils you run tar -xvf
on the tarball [ hmm, might need -j as well for a .bz2 at this stage ],
then you cd binutils-2.15.94.0.2.2, then you follow the instructions:

mkdir ../binutils-build
cd ../binutils build

At that point, you are in /sources/binutils-build and the source is in
../binutils-2.15.94.0.2.2

Ken