LFS for Old Hardware, which to choose?

Andrew Calkin calkin at ieee.org
Sun Mar 13 04:24:47 PST 2005

On Sat, Mar 12, 2005 at 11:35:05PM -0600, DJ Lucas wrote:
<snip>
> I found Tiny-X for embedded devices a few days ago.  It's part of
</snip>
This sounds like the kdrive server. From what I understand, it is
a special X server that (for x86) has an executable in the vacinity
of 700kb. Two standard accelerated graphics versions exist for
fb and vesa setup, but not all graphics chipsets can have accelerated
graphics. Unlike most X implementations, it is not modular, so you
can only specify e.g. one graphics chipset at compile time. The person
who worked on this (Keith Packard) moved to the Xorg tree during the
split and so I would imagine that the Xorg version of X would have
at least as much support as the existing XFree86 implementation. He
is also the author of the xft2/fontconfig libraries, and the link
below is an interview in which he answers some questions regarding
kdrive and what similarities/differences exist between that and
"regular" X servers.

http://www.rule-project.org/article.php3?id_article=105

<snip>
> intro and http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/kdrive.html for some
> instructions that looked easy enough.
</snip>

That is also my link for how to compile kdrive too :)
I will have a go in the next few weeks.

//Andrew