LFS for Old Hardware, which to choose?

John Gay johngay at eircom.net
Sat Mar 12 13:37:23 PST 2005

On Saturday 12 March 2005 21:19, Tor Olav Stava wrote:
> Hi there everyone!
> First of all, thanks to everyone involved in the LFS project.
>
> I've got quite a few machines based on old hardware (old 1st generation
> pentiums), that I would like to bring to life again with my own custom
> built Linux. Of course, this will be LFS ;)
>
> My question is basically, which LFS version to choose? I've been looking at
> 6.0 and 5.1.1, but they seem to be quite slow on these archaic machines.
> Would I be better off going back to LFS-4.x or even 3.x?

I've run LFS-3.3 on a Pentium MMX and currently run LFS-6.0-TP on a PIII. I
don't think LFS version would make any difference. LFS-6.0 should be fine on
old Pentiums, but make sure you've plenty of memory in them for X and a
desktop. I like Xfce for low-powered boxes, but both of my machines ran KDE,
though the Pentium MMX was rather sluggish (-;

But there are plenty of other Window managers/desktops aimed at low-power, so
see what you like and try it. I'm sure others here have more technical
information regarding LFS versions for low power boxes.

Cheers,

	John Gay