LFS for Old Hardware, which to choose?

Tor Olav Stava tostava at tiscali.no
Sat Mar 12 13:19:09 PST 2005

Hi there everyone!
First of all, thanks to everyone involved in the LFS project.

I've got quite a few machines based on old hardware (old 1st generation
pentiums), that I would like to bring to life again with my own custom built
Linux. Of course, this will be LFS ;)

My question is basically, which LFS version to choose? I've been looking at
6.0 and 5.1.1, but they seem to be quite slow on these archaic machines.
Would I be better off going back to LFS-4.x or even 3.x?

I'm looking for maximum performance and stability on old hardware, not
anything new and fancy support thingys. And would like to get some version
of X running also. My alternative is installing Win98 on the machines, which
I'd rather avoid at any cost.

Compilation time is of little importance, only running performance and
stability, as I'll probably try to cross compile on a 1,3 GHz Duron machine,
which probably will save me a few days.. ;)

Any experiences and opinions would be mostly welcome.

Thanks
Tor Olav Stava