More thoughts Re: spam filters as a general sorter

Hui Zhou zhouhui at wam.umd.edu
Sat Mar 12 06:29:44 PST 2005

On Sat, Mar 12, 2005 at 09:17:47AM -0500, Hui Zhou wrote:
>So during reading Paul's essay, I got this idea, apply the statistical
>filter to all my mails to not only just two categories, but several
>categories: such as Spam, Interesting, Advertisement, AccountUpdate,
>StrangeLogEventsAndAlerts, PrivateMustRead, MildInterest,
>LeastInterest... etc.

Reading my own mail (this one that I just sent :)) and I realize that
simple token treatment definitely won't work good enough to mark sort
my post into interesting (How shameless :). It may work for
categorization of regular notifications and alerts, but for general
chatting list, something more need to be taken into account. Maybe the
the lengh of original post? or proportion of quotes against reply? or
average length of sentences?

Any more ideas or comments are welcome!

Cheers,
--