su from shadow

Mark Cason farmerboy1967 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 00:40:21 PST 2005

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 09:17:52 +0100, Henrik S. Hansen <hsh at freecode.dk> wrote:
> Mark Cason <farmerboy1967 at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I have just about finished a custom makefile/script based installer
> > for LFS 5.1.1 and 6.0
>
> That sounds very nice.  I've been meaning to do this myself, but have
> only just got started.  Could you send a copy to me, or perhaps to this
> list?

  I should have it done today, I designed it with a configure script
so you can set up things like networking, host/domain names, kernel,
clock, timezone, user, etc...
  But the thing I have been most frustrated over is a settting I call
"fancy".  Instead of getting a screen full of compiler messeges, these
are sent to some log files, and the output looks like this:

Creating a custom profile for lfsuser  ...DONE
Copying source files to install LFS  ...DONE

Extracting tools_binutils_pass1  ...DONE
Estimated time to complete Binutils,   ...UNKNOWN
Actual time is 3 minutes and 28 seconds
SBU = 1.00

Extracting tools_gcc_pass1  ...DONE
Estimated time to complete tools_gcc_pass1 is 15 minutes and 26 seconds
Actual time is 15 minutes and 15 seconds
SBU = 4.40

Extracting tools_linux_libc_headers  ...DONE
Estimated time to complete tools_linux_libc_headers is 0 minutes and 2 seconds
Actual time is 0 minutes and 0 seconds
SBU = 0.00

Extracting tools_linux_headers  ...DONE
Estimated time to complete tools_linux_headers is 0 minutes and 17 seconds
Actual time is 0 minutes and 18 seconds
SBU = 0.09

Extracting tools_glibc  ...DONE
Estimated time to complete tools_glibc is 38 minutes and 08 seconds
Actual time is 39 minutes and 46 seconds
SBU = 11.47

Extracting tools_make  ...DONE
Estimated time to complete tools_make is 0 minutes and 21 seconds
Actual time is 0 minutes and 21 seconds
SBU = 0.10

Extracting tools_grep  ...DONE
Estimated time to complete tools_grep is 0 minutes and 21 seconds
Actual time is 0 minutes and 21 seconds
SBU = 0.10

Extracting tools_sed  ...DONE
Estimated time to complete tools_sed is 0 minutes and 23 seconds
Actual time is 0 minutes and 23 seconds
SBU = 0.11

Extracting tools_gettext  ...DONE
Estimated time to complete tools_gettext is 3 minutes and 22 seconds
Actual time is 3 minutes and 23 seconds
SBU = 0.98

Extracting tools_ncurses  ...DONE
Estimated time to complete tools_ncurses is 2 minutes and 24 seconds
Actual time is 2 minutes and 23 seconds
SBU = 0.69

  It's still rough, and it is not well documented, but it installs LFS
correctly.  However, I would be happy to let others look at it and
suggest improvements/bugfixes.