Playing radio stations

Gabriel Munoz munozga at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 12:37:59 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 18:54 +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, Gabriel Munoz wrote:
> > If you want to stay away from xmms (and nasty gtk1), try
> > beep-media-player: http://beepmp.sourceforge.net/
> >

>  Thanks, any legible skins for it ?  My eyes are about 36 inches (90cm)
> from my 1600x1200 monitor.  I thought the 'D' button (selected by trial
> and error) might help, but it just gives a message that doublesize has
> been removed.

It takes any of the classic WinAmp skins, so I guess you have your
pick :P I hate skins myself, but I use maXMMS (available on the xmms
site). Their default skin is bad, and I think is going to be replaced.

You might want to bump up the font sizes on the Preferences menu as
well. That helps me to see what's going on.

> > It is a fork of xmms to gtk2 and supports ogg streams (just tested it).
> > Also, streamtuner (http://www.nongnu.org/streamtuner/) integrates well
> > with it.
> >
>  Ah, that seems to help a lot.  I'm sure there must be a way to edit the
> preferences, but symlinking xmms to beep-media-player works nicely.
> (You might guess that I'm still unconvinced by graphical desktops for
> most things).

I'm not much of a graphical desktop person either. People just don't
understand that a desktop is for placing windows on it, and not for
placing a bunch of images and icons on the desktop (/me runs since I
just insulted 99% of users--no offense meant).

Heh, and why would I want transparent windows when the purpose of a
window on a desktop is to look at it?

I just don't understand!

Gabe