Playing radio stations

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Tue Mar 8 10:14:16 PST 2005

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, Mike Hernandez wrote:

> I use xmms to listen to bassdrive.com... works fine. I tried to use
> mplayer for that but it didn't like it. Mplayer does have a real audio
> codec available iirc, so you might be able to use that for real
> streams, or you can check out the helix thing...
> https://helixcommunity.org/
>
> Good luck!
> Mike

 Thanks for this link, I had to download the realplayer binaries (makes
me feel dirty), but at least the helix pages have an rp ppc binary for
me to play with later.  Installed rp system wide (had to point it to
firefox's plugin directory) and let it build the system-wide links (this
seems to mean symlinking from /usr/bin/realplayer).

 Had to close firefox and run realplayer before it would work, after
that firefox managed to use the realplayer feeds well enough to distract
me from sorting the ogg feeds.

Ken