Playing radio stations

Mike Hernandez sequethin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 17:51:02 PST 2005

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 01:21:26 +0000 (GMT), Ken Moffat
<ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net> wrote:
>  Ok, so I'm finally dragging myself into the 20th century.  Got the amp
> and speakers powered up, loads of audio libraries compiled, but what do
> I use to play ogg radio stations ?
>
>  I found one station that obviously wasn't using a playlist and I was
> able to just point ogg123 at it.  But most stations have playlists,
> which seems to defeat ogg123.  I've build rhythmbox, and it sort of
> works - plays up to the end of a track, then stops until I click on it
> (I guess it really wants a play-list).  So, any recommendations for
> "straightforward" radio players (the type that just keep playing of
> their own accord) ?
>
>  Also, any recommendations for dealing with the Real Player streams from
> the BBC ?
>
> Ken

I use xmms to listen to bassdrive.com... works fine. I tried to use
mplayer for that but it didn't like it. Mplayer does have a real audio
codec available iirc, so you might be able to use that for real
streams, or you can check out the helix thing...
https://helixcommunity.org/

Good luck!
Mike