spam on list

Uli Fahrenberg uli at math.aau.dk
Mon Mar 7 04:01:41 PST 2005

Tryin' to move this to -chat:

>>> Plus, gmail offers free POP access to the accounts, so you don't even
>>> have to use the web interface to read your mail!  Likewise, anyone who
>>> wants a Gmail account can ask me as well.

>> Yes, I have 50 GMAIL invites that I would like to get rid of as well.
>> Email me and I'll send you one.

> I made efforts to  get rid of my gmail invites, but they bounced.
> People read their privacy stuff and ran away....;.. the invite timed
> out & returned to me.

I used to send my invites to  gmail at isnoop.net , see also

 	http://isnoop.net/gmail/

But recently everybody seems to have so many invites, so I've given up
on this. Sending your invites to isnoop instead of people you know is a
Good Thing IMO, as it prevents Google from mapping my social network.

Background:  I have heard that Google uses Gmail invites to keep track
of the social network of Gmail users, something which with the right
data mining tools can be *very* valuable to advertisement folks.

Disclaimer:  The above is only a rumour and might as well be completely
wrong, both as a fact (indicating some paranoia on my side) and also
technically (indicating my ignorance about data mining etc. which is,
indeed, abunding).

uli

--
Uli Fahrenberg -- http://www.math.aau.dk/~uli