pentium4 gcc options

Robert Connolly robert at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Mar 2 08:12:43 PST 2005

I have a prescott (model 3, flag pni). Between gcc benchmarks and glibc
build/tests I'm finding '-march=i686 -mtune=prescott' works best together.

My gcc-3.4.3 benchmarks like march=pentium3 best, but that makes one glibc
test fail. march=pentium4 also makes that test fail. Performance of
march=pentium3 and march=pentium4 are almost identical, but maybe my gcc
benchmarks aren't trying to take advantage of the new cpu flags.

Using march=prescott produces slower programs than march=i386, for whatever
reason.

Google doesn't agree with my findings, but I think a lot of people are
shooting in the dark and assuming march=prescott is ideal.

I'm also using -O3 and --enable-omitfp with good results btw.

robert