Using the GPU to speed-up a program?

Hui Zhou zhouhui at wam.umd.edu
Mon Feb 28 11:38:42 PST 2005

On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 07:14:16PM +0000, John Gay wrote:
>So I was wondering if programmes like POV-Ray could take advantage of the GPU
>in 3D cards for quicker rendering? I know that it doesn't use it, but maybe
>code could be added for it? It just seems strange that Maya and Houdini
>render much faster with a good 3D card.

POV-Ray is a ray tracing program which calculates individual rays to
render an image.

I am not sure but suspect the Maya and Houdini don't do ray tracing at
all and use openGL to render images, which is what a 3D card designed
for.

As for the speed, OpenGL is much less CPU intensive than raytracing
even without GPU.

Cheers,
--
Hui Zhou