Using the GPU to speed-up a program?

John Gay johngay at eircom.net
Mon Feb 28 11:14:16 PST 2005

I know this subject was mentioned recently, but I was just thinking about
something that has puzzled me recently.

Very graphic intensive programmes, like Houdini, Maya and such recommend
having advanced 3D cards for fast performance, even though the majority of
their work is computational rather than display-oriented.

So I was wondering if programmes like POV-Ray could take advantage of the GPU
in 3D cards for quicker rendering? I know that it doesn't use it, but maybe
code could be added for it? It just seems strange that Maya and Houdini
render much faster with a good 3D card.

Cheers,

	John Gay