booting a linux distro on SATA harddisk

Marius Schrecker masch at tiscali.no
Mon Feb 28 00:07:11 PST 2005

I can tell you that Kanotix (live CD distro, knoppix/Debian Sid based) botrh
installs and boots fine using GRUB. I'm using this on my nvidia S-ATA x86-64
box and it works a treat.

Cheers

I got a new computer with a SATA drive and try to install linux on it.
To begin, I tried with a liveCD distro which can be stored on a harddisk.
It worked and I have it now installed.
Even if I have only one drive, it was seen by linux as /dev/h
>c and my linux is on /dev/hdc11.
However I cannot boot it.  I know how to install lilo on the root drive
MBR and this is the way I normally boot all my linux distros at present.
However when I try to run lilo on this SATA disk, it fails with the messa
>e:
	FATAL: Sorry, don't know how to handle device 0xf100
The kernel is version 2.6.5 and lilo is version 22.5.
Some time ago there was a message from a guy who was happy because he could
install linux using one of the newest kernels (2.6.10). Is thi
> the way to go ?
I would not like to use a removable device (CD or USB) for booting...
Thanks for any idea.