live CD: "VFS: cannot open root device"

MOD masonoliverdickson at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 26 19:53:04 PST 2005

Thanks for your response.  Not to worry, I don't have to get this finished
tonight.
;-)

Yes, I have ramdisk and initial ramdisk linked in.  I built it as my
standard kernel, before starting this project, so it's in both my working
LFS system and my Live CD system.  As a result, I skipped the part of the
procedure concerned with tailoring a kernel for the Live CD.

> I can suggest only that you make sure that your
> /etc/fstab is pointing to the correct partition
Well, that could certainly be the problem!  My understanding was that the
Live CD was supposed to function without needing any hard disk partitions.
In the "Beginners Guide", it says:

---------------
At this point it's a good idea to change /etc/fstab of the live CD system.
Delete all of the entries that you don't need. (e.g. all /dev/hd* entries)
You only need proc and devpts.

Don't worry about mounting root filesystem "/". This will be mounted by the
linuxrc script from the initial ram disk.
---------------

And /etc for initrd was built with this command:
> cp -a $LIVECD/etc/{udev,dev.d,hotplug.d} etc/
so initrd doesn't have fstab at all.

Just out of curiosity, I restored the original fstab and booted the
partition that I used to build the Live CD, and it came up OK (although it
used the ramdisks during initialization, and the root partition is mounted
at /fake/needwrite/dev).

So it seems that I did a poor job of writing up the problem in my original
post.  The problem I have isn't with booting the disk partition I used to
build the Live CD -- it's with booting the Live CD itself.

MOD