live CD: "VFS: cannot open root device"

MOD masonoliverdickson at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 26 16:59:28 PST 2005

I created a LFS Live CD using the instructions at

http://culmination.org/Mike/2.6-udev-nptl-bootcd.txt

but screwed it up somewhere, since it ended up saying:

VFS:  cannot open root device or unknown-block(0,0)

with a kernel panic.

I looked around in the CD for something that didn't look right. Everything
in isolinux looked fine. I unzipped and mounted initrd.zip and it looked OK
too, as far as I could tell from comparing it to the instructions.

The VFS error occurred at the time when my normal boot from hard disk says

VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly

The info on the screen at the time of the kernel panic looks exactly like
the stuff on my normal sys.log when booting from hard disk, up to the VFS
error. The lines I scribbled down are included below.

Hopefully, somebody who has worked with this Live CD plan has a clue to
something I could try out to make a Live CD that will work.

Thanks,

MOD

Uniform CD-ROM driver

mice: PS/2

serio: i8042 AUX

input: ImPS/2

serio: i8042 KBD

input: AT keyboard

Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver

PCI: Found IRQ 3

PCI: Sharing IRQ 3

PCI: Sharing IRQ 3

PCI: Sharing IRQ 3

PCI: Setting latency

intel 8x0_measure_ac97_clock

intel 8x0: clocking

ALSA device list:

#0 Intel 82801DB

NET: Registered Protocol family 2

IP: routing cache

TCP: hash-tables

NET: Registered Protocol family 1

NET: Registered Protocol family 17

VFS: cannot open root device or unknown-block(0,0)