gs, ijs, and gutenprint

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Sat Feb 26 08:18:03 PST 2005

Steven B wrote:

> http://pastebin.jutley.org/?show=738
>
> 07:55 AM root at elemental:~# /usr/bin/gs -dSAFER -dPARANOIDSAFER -dBATCH
> -dNOPAUSE -sOutputFile=printcap.out -sPAPERSIZE=letter -sDEVICE=ijs
> -sIjsServer=/usr/bin/ijsgutenprint -sDeviceManufacturer=EPSON
> -sDeviceModel=escp2_c82 -dIjsUseOutputFD printcap.ps ESP Ghostscript 7.07
> (2003-11-19)
> Copyright 2003 artofcode LLC and Easy Software Products, all rights
> reserved. This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for
> details. **** Unable to open the initial device, quitting. 07:55 AM
> root at elemental:~# ijs_server_get_page_header failed -2

Epson Stylus C82 is well-supported by gimp-print 4.2.7, so there's no need
to install ijs or gutenprint.

Just install CUPS, gimp-print and espgs, in that order, exactly as the book
says (including --without-gimp-print switch for espgs). In fact I have
Epson Stylus C84 and it works that way :)

CUPS calls it that way (a bit simplified):

gs -sDEVICE=cups .... | #(this produces a device-independent bitmap)
/usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertoprinter | # this converts to C82 format
/usr/lib/cups/backend/usb

--
Alexander E. Patrakov