nice program: hddtemp

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Wed Feb 23 10:44:39 PST 2005

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, Cedric wrote:

> Hi all, I just stumbled over a program that can read out the temperature of my
> harddisk. Here's the link:
> http://www.guzu.net/linux/hddtemp.php
>
> Greetz, cedric

 I use smartctl from smartmontools, but I take what the drives report
with a big pinch of salt - my 'server' has a couple of 120GB drives in a
RAID-1 array for backups, and the reported temperatures definitely
benefit from spinning down when idle.  At the moment, room temperature
is probably around 22 degrees.  The main drive (40GB seagate) currently
reports 28 degrees.  One of the RAID drives is also a Seagate, that
reports 26 degrees, which seems plausible.  The other is a Maxtor, which
claims to be at 14 degrees (yes, fourteen).  The desktop box I'm using
at the moment reports the main drive (Seagate) is at 46 degrees, and you
should have seen what it reported before I improved the cooling 8-)

Ken