Got some segfaulty problems

Gareth Westwood gareth at wffsystems.co.uk
Mon Feb 21 11:45:55 PST 2005

Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> On February 21, 2005 12:07 pm, Gareth Westwood wrote:
>
>>Next I went looking for libs that may have gotten problems with them,
>>ldd told me that rm, ls and mv are all linked to but then I found that
>>mv is to and that is working so I assume that isn't the problem.
>

> Those different programs use different functions from the C libraries. It's
> possible that the library ended up partially corrupt.

That would go with one of my first ideas

> Other reasons for mysterious seg faults are hardware problems such as a bad
> CPU or RAM. If you have any spares, try swapping it out.

Am on that now. I didn't think it was this to start off with as some
stuff seemed to work and the programs that didn't were braking all the
time not just every now and again.

> If it's a software issue related to Glibc, you could boot from a LFS LiveCD
> and build yourself a new Glibc and install that into your LFS system,
> overwriting the current Glibc. That might fix the problems right away.

Hadn't thought of that, if the spare ram/proc dont help will give that a
bash.

thanks for the advice Gerard

--
Gareth Westwood