Borland Kylix on (B)LFS 6.0

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Feb 9 08:40:50 PST 2005

Rincewind wrote:

> Anyway, I assume from your question (and from the fact that my attempts
> to do so failed) that it's impossible to compile gcc-2.95 on LFS-6.0: so
> why is the chapter still in the book? Will it be removed or will the
> instructions be modified to work around the problem?

gcc-2.95 builds and works fine on LFS 6.0. What you are having a problem
with is not the compiler, but binaries built by the compiler.

When you are moving between major LFS revisions like this, there is
always the possibility that binaries will _not_ work on a newer revision
than they were built on. It depends on a lot of factors, but in this
case since the application uses threading, you cannot use a binary built
against LinuxThreads without having a LinuxThreads-enabled glibc around
to run it against.

The major distros solve this problem by providing _both_ versions of
glibc. LFS does not do that.