Fwd: Re: thoughts on kernel security issues

ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.net ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.net
Sun Feb 6 13:31:49 PST 2005

On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 11:05:54AM +0100, Carlos Martin (carlosmn at gmail.com) wrote:
> > That said, as far as LFS goes, it's assumed that the user knows what
> > there doing so... hmmm.
>
> Well, the user should know what he's getting into, but still, it may
> be useful to keep using 2.4 as an alternative. For a server I wouldn't
> use the 2.6 kernel...
[...]

My work focus is building production servers and I've not gotten around
to completing the build a 2.6 based system.  So, I don't have
operational experience to draw upon.  Alan Cox has started maintaining
an -ac tree that includes fixes to these types of lapses in the Linus
kernel release.  Later in the thread on LKML Chris Wright at OSDL points
this out and comments that those not using a vendor kernel can pull
patches from Alan's tree.

Anyone here have experience with the -ac tree?  In the 'warning' Carlos
proposes a mention of this tree might be a good thing.
--
I reason and act, therefore, ken_i_m
Chief Gadgeteer, Elegant Innovations