Hardware problem (I think)

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Feb 5 17:05:31 PST 2005

S. Anthony Sequeira wrote:

> My research indicates that this is a system board failure.

And you've tried the obvious (a different pointing device)?

> I know we have some very knowledgeable hardware people in the community.
> Any idea how, if possible, this can be fixed?  It's not critical, I can
> get by without a mouse on the machine (it's a server).  Just wondering
> whether this is the beginning of a general failure.

The biggest concern that I would have is that the pointing device and
the keyboard are generally controlled by the same piece of hardware
(used to be a separate chip, now part of something larger), so if that
device has a problem you could lose your keyboard port as well. It could
also be something less significant (like a resistor or capacitor
dedicated to the pointing device port). I wouldn't be too concerned
about the machine getting worse because of this, though.