Opinions: Floppy Linux

Mike Hernandez sequethin at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 18:16:56 PST 2005

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 21:09:31 -0500, spamtrap2 at noemail.com
<spamtrap2 at noemail.com> wrote:
> What is your opinion on floppy Linux ? Some of them are just one or two floppy distros. They seem small but very powerful. One needs to know the command prompt very well to use them.
>
> Apart from LFS, floppy linux also seems to be a great learning experience. How long does it take to learn to use Floppy Linux ? Any other related comments/opinions/info. welcome.
>
> Vijay

I'm just curious, but do you realize that linux is linux, regardless
of the medium it's on? I mean the linux kernel and gnu utils [like
bash and the coreutils, etc] are what  you might consider "linux", and
those are part of every distro. The difference between them is usually
how you install them and what extra stuff you get... there are other
things like the directory structure and init scripts that will change
too....

My point really is that I don't see where linux on a floppy would be
more (or less) of a learning experience than any other linux
distribution [except of course LFS, which is the ultimate learning
distro ;)]. Of course you would learn a lot about floppies.... (i.e.
they suck haha) but you could figure that out while making a slack or
debian floppy install set ;)

Mike

P.S. Live CD's rock! ;)