Make Your Own LFS Live CD Project ?

John Gay johngay at eircom.net
Tue Feb 1 15:15:05 PST 2005

On Tuesday 01 February 2005 20:55, Jeremy Utley wrote:
> Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> > No, not really to be honest. It had become a practice of sorts that was
> > regrettable (and if it it still happens it won't for much longer. See
> > "dealt with in private" comment above. I try to keep such things off the
> > list whenever is feasible).
>
> So, are we now going to say that directing people to the appropriate
> list for their question is wrong?

I think the point was how the re-directing was phrased. A little courtesy goes
a long way, but hostility towards newbies is un-warranted.

> I know I've regularly posted links to
> the FAQ's entry on which list to use.  If we're not going to direct
> people to the appropriate list for their inquiry, then, IMHO, might as
> well join all the lists back into one big list again.

Sometimes people post to the wrong list by accident, or lack of understanding.
A gentle reminder is sufficient for most. The separate lists are more for
those who are only interested in certain aspects of LFS's development.
Posting questions to the right list helps ensure that people with experience
are reading the queries and can offer help. Not just to reduce the traffic to
each list.

A question about building X, for instance has a better chance of getting
informed answers on the BLFS list rather than the LFS one.

Cheers,

	John Gay