Kind of memory to a Pentium II-type box?

Shane Johnson sdj at RasmussenEquipment.com
Mon Oct 25 08:09:30 PDT 2004

 It's *never* safe to generalise about what memory works ;-)  I've seen
boards/bioses where running 133 at 100 was fine, and at least one where
it wasn't.

 The other thing with old boxes is not to go too over the top in
upgrading - I've got a very early socket-370 board which is my only
board that will boot with a PIII/933, all the others fail to POST with
that cpu.  This board runs the memory at PC66 so I filled it with
PC100/PC133 and memtest was happy.  But as soon as it gets into
compiling it suddenly slows down, and even the delay loops in old (LFS3)
bootscripts while shutting down take forever.  Turned out it can only
cache 128MB.

Ken

I have run both PC133 and PC100 in the 440BX and 440BX-2 boards and didn't
have a problem as long as the chips are the same speed.  (ex. Both PC100)

Shane

---