booting a 486 from CF

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Sat Oct 30 16:29:10 PDT 2004

Hi there...

Im trying to boot a 486 laptop, however I have some snagglets.

first, I know the hardware works.
2nd, it has no keyboard, and adding one is very troublesome.
3rd, it has no floppy or CDROM

All it has is a CF card attached to a CF->IDE adapter which is used in
place of its old harddisc.

I've tried syslinux and grub, neither play ball, and I cant work out how
to persuade lilo to install on the damn card.

Syslinux craps out complaining it cant find the kernel and grub crashes
somewhere during stage 2 before bringing up the menu.

I cant subscribe to the grub mailinglist as the subscribe tool doesnt
ever email me back to confirm.

SO...

has anyone booted a 486 with grub, and if so how, and can I have copies
of your stage1/2 files ?

or

does anyone know how to make syslinux work?