A couple of firefox quirks

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Oct 29 16:10:21 PDT 2004

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Matthew Burgess wrote:
>
>> Additionally does anyone know how to install plugins system-wide (i.e.
>> so they're accessible to all users?).  I thought installing them as
>> root would do it, but apparently that just gives root access to it.
>

> Do the BLFS instructions for enabling multi-user use work for
> the plugins? I know they do for any added extensions.

Well, I've now compiled according to BLFS instructions and still can't
get an extension (which I erroneously called plugin in my OP) installed
by one user to be visible/usable by another user.  Is this supposed to
work, or are extensions not possible to install system-wide?  If they
are, who should I be installing the extensions as?  root? normal user?
does it matter?  Do I have to do anything special, or is using the
Tools->Extensions interface supposed to work (it works for installing
individual user's extensions).

Does the same procedure work for themes too?  And how does one install a
theme that is only available as a downloadable .jar (i.e. not yet on
updates.mozilla.org)?  Drag and dropping doesn't appear to work here.

As for the other bugs I'm suffering from, I only had limited success.
The closest I could find were bugs 12728 and 81286 which are both old
and marked as fixed for the 'cookie dialog has no text' problem.

Sorry for asking so many questions, but these features really add value
to Firefox for me.  I know they work on Windows builds, so it's just
frustrating they don't work on Linux.  Maybe the binary linux builds are
better?  Anyone have any experience with them?

Best regards,

Matt.