Kind of memory to a Pentium II-type box?

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Mon Oct 25 03:19:13 PDT 2004

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Heinz Kirchmann wrote:

> > So, question: Assuming the 32MB are PC-100 SDRAM, will PC-133 SDRAM
> > work, too?
> I tried that and it worked without problems. Not sure, if it's okay to
> generalize that, though.
>
> Heinz

 It's *never* safe to generalise about what memory works ;-)  I've seen
boards/bioses where running 133 at 100 was fine, and at least one where
it wasn't.

 The other thing with old boxes is not to go too over the top in
upgrading - I've got a very early socket-370 board which is my only
board that will boot with a PIII/933, all the others fail to POST with
that cpu.  This board runs the memory at PC66 so I filled it with
PC100/PC133 and memtest was happy.  But as soon as it gets into
compiling it suddenly slows down, and even the delay loops in old (LFS3)
bootscripts while shutting down take forever.  Turned out it can only
cache 128MB.

Ken