DVD ripping

John Gay johngay at eircom.net
Fri Oct 22 05:21:26 PDT 2004

On Fri 22 Oct 2004 09:13, Ian Molton wrote:
> John Gay wrote:
> > Use the lav tools to extract the video and audio streams from the avi.
> > Use mpeg2enc to generate correct mpeg2 files.
> > Use mp2enc to convert the audio.
> > Use mplex to create a DVD compatible stream.
> > Use dvdauthor to create the DVD image from these streams.
> > Use mkisofs to create the ISO image.
> > Burn this with dvdrecord.
>
> the trouble is my AVI already contains a DVD-type mpeg2 and audio
> stream, and I dont want to re-encode them, I simply need to generate a
> vob (and associated ifo files/whatever) from them.
>
> what I need is a tool to demux the mpeg2 and mp3/aac audio from my AVI
> so that mplex can make a VOB for me.

Those tools should also be in the mjpeg-tools. Once you've multiplexed the
video and audio into a stream, dvdauthor will create a DVD structure with the
correct directories and VOB files that can then be converted to ISO and then
burned.

https://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=3456&group_id=5776

Here is the how-to, which gives examples of just about any mpeg/avi-VCD/DVD
convertion.

Once you've played with some examples, if you still need help, the developers
are extremely helpful on the mailing list.

I've built both mjpeg-tools and dvdauthor on LFS-6.0, but I don't remember all
the pre-req's. It's not hard, though.

But my application was for creating DVD's from computer animation images, so
I'm not familiar with converting from existing video formats, but this doc
should get you started.

Cheers,

	John Gay