DynDNS type services; options, opinions and clients...

DJ Lucas dj at lucasit.com
Mon Oct 11 14:15:00 PDT 2004

"Andrew Calkin" <calkin at ieee.org> wrote in message
news:20041011153043.GA3774%calkin at ieee.org...
> Hi, I am considering using some form of dynamic DNS service so that
> I can keep track of my machines at home on a (surprise!) dynamic IP
> link.
>
> Anyone care to share experiences, general opinions etc on available
> (free) dynamic DNS service providers and clients for updating the
> service? There are some I've found myself, but I don't know if one
> is clearly better than any other as yet.
>
> Separately, what holes would I have to poke in a firewall so that
> different clients could be used? Anything special?
>
> Regards,
> //Andrew

For just a home network where you only want for your own use, and don't care
about subdomains, dyndns or no-ip's free services should both be good.  Now
if you wanted to step up to something like no-ip's premium service or
dnydns's custom service, I use afraid. http://freedns.afraid.org/  The
clients for update are pretty slim for using with a router there, so a very
simple script using curl and www.whatismyip.com and the update url (specific
to my domain) works quite well for me...runs every 15 minutes (again
overkill, but I want no downtime on an IP change).  :-)   And it's really
free; No frills, but works very well.

-- DJ Lucas