windoze in our lives

Allard Welter allard at quicknet.nl
Mon Oct 11 07:12:18 PDT 2004

On Monday 11 October 2004 03:35, Jason Gurtz wrote:
> On 10-Oct-04 20:31, Allard Welter wrote:
> > [...] is a 'stop error' for some reason or other
> > less severe than a 'fatal error'? or have I simply been fortunate
> > enough never to have windoze 'stop' on me before?
>
> a winhose Stop error is, more or less, the functional equivalent of a
> Kernel Panic and happens pretty much for the same set of reasons,
> often due to a buggy kernel mode driver.
>
> They're an NT thing and have been around for the better part of a
> decade, appearing--thankfully!--less and less frequently as time
> marches on.  Amusingly, the "Stop" is, in some cases, accompanied by
> the message, "Dumping physical memory," which can lead (l)users to
> make some lewd references of the machine's actions when calling for
> help.

That explains things as I haven't had the misery of having to grapple
with win2000. There were no dumped actions, the drivers had however
well and truly abandoned ship. This vessel was going nowhere, it was
stationary. I guess if you're a 5 year old programmer 'stop error' is
an appropriate name.

Allard