windoze in our lives

Jason Gurtz jason at tommyk.com
Sun Oct 10 18:35:08 PDT 2004

On 10-Oct-04 20:31, Allard Welter wrote:

> [...] is a 'stop error' for some reason or other
> less severe than a 'fatal error'? or have I simply been fortunate
> enough never to have windoze 'stop' on me before?

a winhose Stop error is, more or less, the functional equivalent of a
Kernel Panic and happens pretty much for the same set of reasons, often
due to a buggy kernel mode driver.

They're an NT thing and have been around for the better part of a
decade, appearing--thankfully!--less and less frequently as time marches
on.  Amusingly, the "Stop" is, in some cases, accompanied by the
message, "Dumping physical memory," which can lead (l)users to make some
lewd references of the machine's actions when calling for help.

~Jason