windoze in our lives

Allard Welter allard at quicknet.nl
Sun Oct 10 17:31:28 PDT 2004

On my way home tonight, arriving at a train station, I made my way to
the usual information screen 'announcing' arrival and departures times.
However, due to some software malfunction the screen was cast in a
somewhat more infamous guise, to wit, the windoze blue screen. Not one
to shy away from inexplicable riddles I ventured closer in to see if I
could glean some information regarding the error. Imagine my joy to
discover that the error was not fatal (safely home for once, not
reliant on the vagaries of that OS). Instead, the error proudly claimed
to be a 'stop error'. The rest of the error was of course the usual
claptrap about rebooting, searching for new hardware and installing
relevant drivers. For a change the train was on time.

Is M$ finally starting to make an effort to cast their error messages in
a more user-friendly manner? is a 'stop error' for some reason or other
less severe than a 'fatal error'? or have I simply been fortunate
enough never to have windoze 'stop' on me before?

Allard