[lkml] BSD-licensed linux fork

Jason Gurtz jason at tommyk.com
Fri Oct 8 11:11:00 PDT 2004

On 10/8/2004 13:45, Hui Zhou wrote:

> I personally don't think that's a bad idea. BSD-license is nothing
> comparable to M$' purchasing dos, IMHO. The bottom line is it will
> never harm the linux in anyway, will it?

It would be amusing, yes, to see Linux code in MS windows.  Just like you
can find BSD code in it now :)

If that's not exploitive and hurtful then I don't know what is.  I can
also see those nifty hardware wifi/router combos coming out using the
BSD'd Linux with no source available.  Too bad for the bedroom hacker...

As for the DOS deal, how about asking Gary Kildall about how much that
mattered?  <http://www.joewein.de/dri.html>

Lesson to be learned: a lot matters that--at least at first--doesn't
appear to.

~Jason