Processing experimental data: how to do it ?

Hans Malissa hans.malissa at jku.at
Thu Oct 7 01:23:31 PDT 2004

Sébastien Maerten wrote:
> This situation is quite common for most of the physicists I know and I'd
> like to know how you all handle this. Am I missing something or is this
> always a real pain ? Do some of you face the same situations ?

Personally, I prefer doing things in C myself. There is the gsl, the gnu
scientific library, which has many standard routines. They're quite good,
but often need lots of memory, and the documentation is not very extensive.
But I guess that's just a matter of getting used to it.
For storing data, I found the netCDF data format, which comes with libraries
for many programming languages. It actually isn't designed to store just
x,y data, but does the job very well. And it stores data binary, which
saves disc space.
What I do: use a selfmade program to convert data from what the measurement
software gives me to a netCDF file, then use selfmade programs to do
whatever I want to do with it. For plotting or so I use either grace, which
can directly import netCDF, or convert it again to a text file.

/hans