GEdit - undesirable behavior

Dominic L Hilsbos dhilsboslfs at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 6 10:19:24 PDT 2004

It would seem that when GEdit is set to create a backup copy of a file
it actually writes out the edited text to a new file with the same
filename, and adds a ~ to the end of the filename of the directory entry
for the old file.  This sounds good, except for one thing, it
consistantly breaks hard links.  Could someone verify this behavior?  If
it can be identified as being distinct to my distro (MDK 9.0) then I'll
recompile gedit, and ifx it.  If not could someone work with me to find
and correct the offending code?  I believe the behavior should be: copy
original file, to new file, output edited text to old file, thus
preserving hard links.

--

Dominic L Hilsbos

"Peace can not be kept by force.  It can only be achieved through
understanding"
Albert Einstein

Linux registered user: 283861		http://counter.li.org/
LFS 5.0 ID:12136			http://linuxfromscratch.org/cgi-bin/lfscounter.cgi