Regarding HHGTG and wav

Daniel Brewer dan_list at brewer.me.uk
Wed Oct 6 04:30:30 PDT 2004

On 6 Oct 2004, at 11:43 am, Per Arne Munthe - LFS user wrote:

> calkina at ece.curtin.edu.au wrote:
>> Quoting Per Arne Munthe - LFS user <lfs at peram.org>:
>
> [snip]
>

>> If you have the mp3s, it should be trivial to convert them to wav's.
>> For a
>> simple example, use the disk writer output plugin for xmms, though
>> there
> > are numerous tools that can do that (most mp3 decoders, for example).
>
> Sure, this is a possibility, but I would prefere to get the "original"
> stream in either wav or "realplayer" format.
>
> Per Arne

You can use mplayer to dump the stream through the repeat here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/newseries.shtml
It is currently on week 2 but will change to the week 3 episode on
Friday (I believe).

For the real file:
mplayer -dumpfile hitchikers.ra -dumpstream
rtsp://rmv8.bbc.net.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/hitchhikers.ra

Straight to wav:
mplayer -quiet -ao pcm -aofile hitchiker.wav -vo null -vc dummy
rtsp://rmv8.bbc.net.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/hitchhikers.ra

You will require the real codecs that are available from the mplayer
website.

Dan

--
Dan Brewer

http://www.brewer.me.uk
LFS ID: 5309
GPG fingerprint:
D2B6 DE30 530B 6C5D C96B  9506 9A6F F054 299E 1B6C