bash error

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Nov 28 09:42:55 PST 2004

ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.net wrote:

> I am beginning to suspect that this is a dark corner of bash and that is
> why I have not found any docs that do a good job of describing it.
> Pointers and application of cluestick greatly appreciated.

Simple: numeric values that start with 0 (zero) and consist of only
digits 0-7 are considered to be octal, and interpreted that way. When
the string contains an 8 or a 9 (which will always be at the end of your
example, since only the minutes could contain them), then it will be
treated as decimal.

Prefixing the string with "10#" should force it to be always be
interpreted in base-10 (i.e. decimal).