Color management (Summary)

Trekky invalid at invalid.invalid
Fri Nov 26 00:49:54 PST 2004

Trekky wrote:
> I'm setting up to be able to print digital photographs - using Gimp with
> gimp-print as the basis.  However, I get unwanted color and density
> problems - differences between the on-screen image and the printed
> version, it varies with paper type too.
>
> I'm looking for methods of calibrating the gimp-print system to
> eliminate the problem. At the moment I'm working by trial and error
> printing of test grayscales and standard test pics.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions as to better ways of doing it?  Even software?

Thanks for all the input.  I'm decided that I don't yet really
understand Color Management enough to do this properly - so I'll just
stick with 'it looks good enough' rather than getting every element of
the chain scientifically correct.

It seems that there are a number of projects that relate to this issue,
and I am in the process of researching them (I suspect this will lead to
  a PhD in Color Terminology first though).

The gimp-print-devel list is interesting, and 'I am Not Alone!'.
There is more development going on ICC-based profiles and profiling.
When I find the HowTo, or if I don't, when I've written it, I'll report
back.

--
Trekky.
I'm anonymous. So you can't email me.  Sorry about this, but the spam