athlon 64 cross compiling

Carlos Martin carlosmn at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 04:33:25 PST 2004

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 21:57:42 +0000, Matthew Burgess
<matthew at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> Ian Molton wrote:
> > hi.
> >
> > ia-64 and x86-64 are not compatible.
>
> /.
> (http://slashdot.org/articles/04/11/24/2057215.shtml?tid=137&tid=142&tid=118&tid=1)
> seems to think they are (mostly).  Admittedly in true /. style I didn't
> RTFA, so the summary could well be misleading or just downright wrong.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matt.

You're mixing ia-64 and the x86-64 implementation that Intel has.
IA-64 is the architechture that exists in the Itanium/Itanium II
processors.

What the article discusses is something different. The architechture
that Intel calls IA-32e and those other names is basically the same as
AMD64, except in the things that make Intel different from AMD
(HyperThreading, HyperTransport, sse3 (for the new x86-64 chips),
3DNow!, and so on).

IA-64 is a (mostly) failed architecture. With 64 bits it runs great,
but there's not that many comercial software that runs on it.
Apparently there are distros that include a IA-64 compatible
implementation, but I haven't checked (not that it'd do me any good
doing. I've never been near one (IA-64 processor.)).

--
Carlos Martín
SoKrA-BTS