Color management

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Nov 24 19:31:54 PST 2004

Trekky wrote:
> I'm setting up to be able to print digital photographs - using Gimp with
> gimp-print as the basis.  However, I get unwanted color and density
> problems - differences between the on-screen image and the printed
> version, it varies with paper type too.

If you're not using the betas of gimp-print 5.0 (now called gutenprint),
you need to. The color handling in the new version is _vastly_ improved,
and the output quality is stunning.

There is an OSS tool called Argyll that can be used to mess with color
profiles and feed them to gimp/gutenprint; there is also a new tool in
beta testing called PhotoPrint that is much simpler than the GIMP for
just printing (you can find references to it in the recent archives of
the gimp-print-devel list).