Color management

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Wed Nov 24 17:23:24 PST 2004

Randy McMurchy wrote:

>> [snip stuff that's been figured out on the Windows side for years now]
>
> You make it sound like it can't be done.

It can be done. its just non trivial.

 > There's Windows software
> that makes perfect prints from most digital cameras to most any
> photo quality printer.

Heh yeah. but that produces average results I find.

the problem is that the *manufacturers* provide calibration software for
their cameras / printers (monitor manufacturers dont, oddly enough).

they dont provide the data seperately and dont make linux versions of
their software. and every device is different.

> Linux software just needs to catch up. :-)

non trivial. but true.

Try getting a 20 $CURRENCY set of kodak calibrated colour swatches (and
a greyscale) and see how easily you can tweak it up to look right on
your monitor. then sample the colour values and see just how wrong you are.

its not easy.