athlon 64 cross compiling

Chris Lingard chris at stockwith.co.uk
Wed Nov 24 12:56:40 PST 2004

Marius Schrecker wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> I'm still wondering about the most sensible approach here. the ia86
> distros run on AMD x86-64, so I'm still very fuzzy about the difference,
> perhaps you can fill me in?

I know nothing about the ia86; is that the Intel 64 bit cpu? Intel stuff
is unobtainaable here, as I live away from any large towns.

> In the meantime I do have problems with getting the box to boot from most
> dist. CD's. Mandrake 10.1 (32 bit) boots and Kanotix live cd boots and
> comes up perfectly (using GRUB). What I would really like is to install
> Debian Sarge ia64 if ia64 is a good alternative, but nothing happens using
> the cd, and I don't have a floppy drive. Is there an easy way of using the
> boot sector from Kanotix (and GRUB) to load the installer for Deb. Sarge??
> The alternative would be to create an install partition and copy the CD
> files to there then load from GRUB, but I'm also unsure of how to do load
> an installer from a running Linux.

Any 32 bit distro will install on a Athlon 64, (x86_64). So you can use
grub or lilo.  You can stay with 32 bit and have no problems.

Debian have a 64 bit system; and plenty of patches; and there are a few
other similar systems.  grub does not work 64 bit, so you have to use
lilo/bin86.

> If x86-64 is much more efficient on an AMD Athlon 64, then I should
> probably hold out and wait for you. What sort of package management are
> you planning to include. I don't feel up-to or have time for a full LFS
> system, but if I could install a basic system from CD and had apt and GCC
> 3.4?? I would like to play with compiling the debs and installing an
> x86-64 Debian system.

I do not do package management. What I am doing, is trying to get a pure,
native 64 bit system.  If you do not have time; then x86_64 is probably
the wrong choice, the basic rules have yet to be written.  Therefore why
not get the Debian system.

Chris