Software recommendation?

Jason Gurtz jason at tommyk.com
Wed Nov 24 12:12:42 PST 2004

On 11/24/2004 14:45, Mike Hernandez wrote:

>  My
> main concern is  report generation. It's a really a PITA to get formal
> reports done right with html. Maybe with some CSS magic it can be
> done?

maybe txt2pdf would be helpfull?  It's not free free but...
<http://www.sanface.com/txt2pdf.html>

The html/css idea souldn't be too bad.  The idea would be to make a
template file that your perl/php/ruby(how good is ruby?) whatever would
parse and replace with the actual data elements.

For example, we use a proprietary--damn :(--application that prints out
formatted barcode lables.  We can control the formatting because there is
a text file that looks like this:

! 0 100 100 ~QTY~
VARIABLE HIGHSPEED
VARIABLE DARKNESS -50
PITCH 25
STRING 8X8 1 4 ~STORE NAME~
JUSTIFY CENTER
BARCODE_FONT 12X16(2,2,1,1)
BARCODE CODE39W 5 47 35 ~MOVIE CODE~
JUSTIFY LEFT
STRING 8X8(2,2,1,1) 1 67 ~CATEGORY~
STRING 5X7 1 77 ~TITLE~
STRING 8X8(2,2,1,1) 125 67 ~BIN~
R270 8X8 210 45 ~RATING~
END

All the stuff ~between~ tilde's is replaced with actual data and get's
shoved along to the barcode printer which knows that text format.  I've
used other proprietary things that use similar concepts including ones
that let the user generate custom reports by simply making a .sql file
containing the query and it would come out all formatted and everything.
Quite convienient, tho watch out for security--only allow certain,
non-updating SQL commands.  :)

~Jason