Personal email cert for S/MIME

Carlos Martin carlosmn at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 07:30:20 PST 2004

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 08:58:56 -0700, Kevin P. Fleming
<kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> I need to start signing some email I send, so I figured I'd use Mozilla
> Thunderbird's built-in S/MIME functionality. That requires that I import
> a PKCS#12 certificate.
>
> However, I only see two "major" free email certificate options: Thawte
> and cacert.org. Thawte does not seem to offer any means to generate a
> standard PKCS#12 file (their web site only wants to install certificates
> directly into the application, which Thunderbird can't do). cacert.org
> does offer PKCS#12, but their root certificate will not be my
> recipient's trusted root list, and I'd rather not deal with that hassle.
>
> Anyone have any advice?

Why don't you just use GnuPG (www.gnupg.org) to do your signing? I
haven't tried it with Thunderbird, but it most likely has support for
it.
This is also something that most people would expect (I imagine, I've
no actual idea what people expect).
--
Carlos Martín
SoKrA-BTS