Personal email cert for S/MIME

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Nov 23 07:58:56 PST 2004

I need to start signing some email I send, so I figured I'd use Mozilla
Thunderbird's built-in S/MIME functionality. That requires that I import
a PKCS#12 certificate.

However, I only see two "major" free email certificate options: Thawte
and cacert.org. Thawte does not seem to offer any means to generate a
standard PKCS#12 file (their web site only wants to install certificates
directly into the application, which Thunderbird can't do). cacert.org
does offer PKCS#12, but their root certificate will not be my
recipient's trusted root list, and I'd rather not deal with that hassle.

Anyone have any advice?