hardware platform selections

Miguel Bazdresch lfs-01 at thewizardstower.org
Sat Nov 20 02:50:19 PST 2004

* Robert Connolly <robert at linuxfromscratch.org> [2004-11-20 10:39]:
> I don't want to start a big thing here. I am just wondering how the 1.8GHz
> G5's compare against intel's of equal price for compiling power. I have an
> oportunity to get a 3GHz p4 very cheap, but I was planning to hold out to get
> a true 64-bit mac. Without much techical data to justify it, I think the
> amd64's must be compromising something being able to run 32 and 64 bit at the
> same time.
>
> I guess my question is, dolar for dolar, which hardware platform has the most
> compiling power?

I'd go (in fact I will go, when I have the money) with an athlon 64. The
G5's are like Ferraris IMO; they're the nicest but the price is too
high.

If you take the electricity bill into your "dollar for dollar"
calculations then the amd64 is even more attractive.

At this point I won't take a P4 even as a gift (slight exaggeration :)
If intel had a P4M desktop offering, however, I'd probably go with that.

Another interesting option is to get a few middle-of-the-road athlon
XP's and use distcc. Not 64-bit though.

--
Miguel Bazdresch
http://thewizardstower.org/