hardware platform selections

Sébastien Maerten maerten.sebastien at laposte.net
Sat Nov 20 02:43:14 PST 2004

Robert Connolly wrote:
> I don't want to start a big thing here. I am just wondering how the 1.8GHz
> G5's compare against intel's of equal price for compiling power. I have an
> oportunity to get a 3GHz p4 very cheap, but I was planning to hold out to get
> a true 64-bit mac. Without much techical data to justify it, I think the
> amd64's must be compromising something being able to run 32 and 64 bit at the
> same time.
>
> I guess my question is, dolar for dolar, which hardware platform has the most
> compiling power?

I'm quite sure nobody answered this debate yet , if you have a serious
test, please post it ;)
But for the dolar-for-dolar, you can't really compare IMHO, machines are
so different. G5 I've never used a but those new mono 1.8GHz are told to
be really nice. However, if you are really interrested in computing
power, the only alternative is a 2 x 2.5 GHz.

In addition, you can find things like:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/libc-alpha/2004-11/msg00131.html
That make me believe that powerpc hardware is far from being used fully.

Sorry for not being helpfull here.